Wednesday, December 10, 2008

1998 called...it wants its music back

I am a music snob.

I used to be a college radio dj. I haven't listened to anything other than NPR and college radio in over 10 years. Yes, that is extremely pretentious.

I have no clue what's going on in area commercial radio. There could be a station that plays transvestite polka 24/7, and I probably wouldn't know about it.

Imagine my surprise when I entered John Carroll's weight room today and was greeted by Bush's Glycerine. Followed by the Beastie Boys' Intergalactic. Then I heard the station jingle talk about playing 90's alternative rock. So now, not only does the weight room look the same at it did 10 years, and not only do the JCU students have the same haircuts and style as they did 10 years ago, but now the same music is played in the weight room as it was 10 years ago. Except tonight I also heard a song by Sonic Youth, which nearly caused me to fall off the weight bench. Also heard: 4 Non Blondes, Foo Fighters, etc. etc.

I suppose the bean counters have decided that people who dug that music back in the day now have a bunch of disposable income to spend on advertisers, so why not have a station with a 90's nostalgia format. Or something like that.

8 comments:

Stella Erratic said...

Gonna party like it's 1999

MasterBowman said...

O.K. Dave it's been two posts on the JCU weight room now and no mention of the co-eds. What gives?

The racquetball courts, yes! I'll challenge you to a match. If I can get a guest pass. By the way, is the squash court full of donated food? If not, I'll challenge Dr. Roizen to a match. Just kidding.

ds said...

Dave-

You're on, once I find my raquet. Then you can guest post on here about all of the co-eds.

The squash court looked to be open for business the other day.

-ds

Ohio Endurance Trainer said...

Dave,

It's been a while buddy. Hope you are doing well! I think I need your professional advice. If you could shoot me an email at josiahsell@hotmail.com with your contact info, I'll give you a call.

Thanks, JC.

JimmyNick said...

If any station would play transvestite polka, it would be a college station. That, however, would be during one of the rare spells when the college stations weren't all playing Pink Floyd, The Doors and Led Zeppelin.

I'll play your game of racquetball, too, you rogue. I last played in 1991, though.

ds said...

JimmyNick-

You must listen to WJCU. Try WSCB or WRUW for more adventurous stuff.

ds said...

I mean WCSB...89.3.

Ben said...

I'm not really sure what the state of 00s alternative is, except for maybe Fall Out Boy / My Chemical Romance etc. Based on my scant experience with commerical "alternative" it's basically been 85% 90s plus 15% mainstream college station music.

Is my music snobbery coming through?

-Ben