Thursday, May 01, 2008

Justice

A few weeks ago, I received a completely bogus ticket in Euclid for making an illegal left turn into the driveway of a business. I won't bore you with the details other than saying that I had resigned to the fact that I broke the law until I took another look at the "no left turn" sign I allegedly failed to obey and realized that it was actually more misleading than I had thought. Unfortunately I was driving home from paying the ticket when I realized this.

This ticket made me think about how many times drivers dangerously pass bicyclists with oncoming traffic or on a blind hill/corner. This is pretty much a given for most motorists, and it happens in front of police officers all of the time. Has anyone ever gotten a ticket for doing this? Perhaps unsafe operation of a vehicle? Driving like a selfish jackass? This happened twice last night on a group ride and scared the life out of us both times.

I guess it's only fair that I pay $125 for a victimless crime based on a deceiving sign while drivers everyday place our lives (and the lives of oncoming traffic) at risk for the sake of saving 6 seconds...and never receive a ticket.

No comments: