Wednesday, June 10, 2009

If only I had more time to ride, I'd probably go do something else

I often hear bike racers talk about how they wish they had more time to train. Count me as someone who does not share this feeling.

I'm pretty lucky with a flexible schedule and ample (in my opinion) time to ride. I probably average 10-14 hours a week on the bike during the spring and summer months, and that includes lots of road races. That usually amounts to 200 miles a week, give or take. I love riding, but honestly have no desire to do it any more than I already do.

Maybe it's because I have a number of other silly hobbies (can anyone say dog agility...playing in a trashy sounding band...reading way too many esoteric articles on politics and current events). Or maybe it's because I realize that I have drawn an average card in the gene pool and won't be dominating the local racing scene anytime soon, regardless of how much time I spend on my bike.

I have to admit, I'm pretty obsessed with riding, and the thought of decreasing my saddle time scares me. But so does the thought of increasing it.

No comments: