Saturday, September 11, 2010

Trial

According the Cuyahoga County Court's docket, the criminal trial of the person driving the truck in the accident that killed Sylvia Bingham begins on Monday. Links to the cases filed relating to this incident can be found here and here, along with a list of the charges. (I don't know why there are two separate cases going at once with the same charges relating to the same incident, both having the same trial date.)

Next week will also be one year since the accident happened.

I have yet to see any local media coverage on the upcoming trial. Maybe we're all just more concerned with other important matters, like whether some hateful lunatic is going to burn some books that may or may not cause some other hateful lunatics to kill people.

Either way, I'll keep an eye on the court docket. As of now, I have no idea what the prosecutor claims happened on that day, as well as the alleged level of impairment of the driver.

If the local media does cover the trial, I suppose it will bring out the worst in many people who will ignorantly claim that bikes don't belong on the roads, and that it was her fault for not wearing a helmet. And some bike advocates will call for Mr. Roberts' head without even knowing the whole story.

I hope I'm proven wrong, and I really hope the case draws a jury that will not rule based on misconceptions about cyclists riding on the road.

No comments: