Thursday, February 05, 2009

Shoveling

In most circles, it is considered abnormal to shovel your own driveway if you have the means to purchase a snowblower or hire someone to clear it for you. In cycling circles, the opposite is true.

It's not like I have interviewed every cyclist I know and asked them whether they shovel their own driveway. But, I cannot think of one cyclist homeowner friend or acquaintance of mine that uses a snowblower or the services of a snow plow company.

Does that make us cheap? Frugal? Addicted to exercise? Sensible? Self righteous?

All of the above?

Probably.

3 comments:

Mike N. said...

Shovel? Snowblower? Is that like what they have at Big Bear and Mammoth Mountain?

Sincerely,
Mike in SoCal who got his a** kicked in his first two Cat 4 races this weekend

Ben said...

Sarah thinks I'm weird for not wanting a snowblower. I grew up in Northern lower Michigan, though, and we were fine without one. Then again, we also biked all winter, which I'm too wimpy to do now.

JimmyNick said...

I use a snow blower, religiously. By that I mean that I thank God above for it every time it snows.

Then again, I also bike all winter. Except for this week.