Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Close call

Today at Westlake, my front tire exploded as I entered turn three (commonly referred to as the "cop turn") at around 30 mph sitting third or fourth wheel, somewhere around lap 5. Knowing that we were lined out and that the corner was covered by the police officer, I straightened the bars and headed directly for the (very high) curb on the other side of the road. I managed to clear the curb with both wheels and coast into the grass, unscathed.

Wow, that was close. I guess my 2009 cyclocross season officially began today.

It turns out that a giant piece of glass punctured the tire and tube just the right way to cause it to instantly explode.

After walking a mile back to the car, I changed my wheel and re-entered the race, but was relegated to sitting at the back of the field and watching all of the fun go down at the front.

Kind of lame, but at least I didn't die.

5 comments:

SG said...

that was a nice maneuver dave. Could have been bad.

prudence rabbit said...

I'm also glad you didn't die. Or wreck your race wheels! Or your new sunglasses.

MasterBowman said...

Wow Dave! That's pretty incredible! Great to hear you're OK. However, this is coming from someone who can't walk down the stairs without breaking his foot.

Derek said...

wow - don't need much of that kind of excitement in your life. glad to hear you kept it under control. your ready for cross season with that kind of maneuver!

JimmyNick said...

I knew another guy who blew his tire. Said it tasted awful.