Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Repetitive Noise

Yes, we all know that Portland's bike culture is way ahead of pretty much any town in this country. And we're all pretty sick of hearing about it (mostly because we're jealous).

But, sometimes I'm still amazed at things I read about that town. Take, for instance, this photo. Its link was posted on the comments to this article on BikePortland.com. From what I can tell, this person threw a party at his house and had to rent a giant bike rack to accommodate all of the people who rode there on bikes.

The photo makes me think about a League of American Bicyclists (LAB) get together I attended at a member's house in Shaker Heights, Ohio about 3 or 4 years ago. It was on a Friday evening in October with clear skies and temps around 60. I can personally attest to the fact that most of the attendees at this meeting lived within 4 miles of the event. One other person and myself were the only two people who rode bikes there.

This post is not meant to judge, condescend, or preach. It simply is me thinking aloud, and wondering how we can change ours and other cities' cultures to be a wee bit more like, well, you know.

2 comments:

Mehul said...

These guys seem like fun!

Check this picture out:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gregraisman/2593122586/in/photostream/

Mehul

JimmyNick said...

Be careful what you wish for. Here, dumb cops ride past me in the Metroparks or on MLK and say, "Hey, why don't you use the bike path?"
In Portland, they pull you over and write you a ticket if you ride on the road instead of in the bike ghetto, where you are condemned to remain.

- JN